Hugo is a partner in the Commercial and Dispute Resolution practices and heads the Insurance and Reinsurance team. He is Lydian’s current Managing Partner.
Hugo has a particular focus on:
- large, complex liability and insurance claims
- commercial law
- commercial litigation / arbitration
Expertise and experience
Hugo is the trusted adviser of a large number of international and Belgian insurers and reinsurers, brokers and specialist firms and has been involved in most of the largest and high-value insurance disputes in Belgium in the last 15 years. With over 25 years of experience in commercial law and commercial litigation, he regularly advises on liability and insurance claims in such areas as all risk property, construction all risk insurance, ALOP Insurance, D&O, professional indemnity and product liability insurance.
He is one of the few Belgian lawyers with experience in handling complex insurance and reinsurance disputes, in all lines of insurance, before Belgian courts and arbitration panels. As he often represents international clients, he is very well aware of the cultural and legal differences in commercial contracts between Belgian and non-Belgian companies. Who’s Who Legal has recognised him as only one of 10 Thought Leaders in Litigation in Belgium, reflecting his unique blend of expertise and experience.
Hugo also handles arbitration and mediation cases. He acted as counsel, arbitrator and mediator.
Hugo graduated with a law degree from the Catholic University of Leuven (KUL) in 1991. In 1995, he obtained a degree in insurance science from the IPO Management School of the University of Antwerp (UIA). In 2002 he completed a postgraduate course in financial management at the Catholic University of Leuven (KUL). Hugo was admitted to the Brussels bar in 1991 and is now a member of both the Brussels Bar and the Hasselt Bar, admitted to plead cases before all Belgian courts.
Publications and speaking engagements
He frequently speaks at the demand of insurers, brokers and universities on insurance subjects. He has also published in professional journals on topics such as directors’ liability and indemnification.
- Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2019 – ranked, Dispute Resolution: clients praise his “effectiveness, availability and knowledge”
- Legal 500 EMEA 2019 – ranked as Leading Individual in Insurance: “top class international insurance lawyer”
- Who’s Who Legal 2019 – Thought Leader in Litigation: one of only 10 Thought Leaders in Belgium
- Member of the insurance committee of the International Bar Association (IBA), of the Belgian Risk Management Association (BELRIM) and of the Belgian Association of Insurance Lawyers (AJA)
Area of expertise
Practice areasDownload CV